I hope you’re all spending some quality time with the ones you love. My Valentines day weekend included these fluffy heart-shaped blueberry lemon scones and a candlelit dinner for two chez nous, which quickly turned into a candlelit dinner for four, as H decided not to nap and Buster decided not to behave. So, flanked by baby and pup, we enjoyed our delicious Indian take-out and a couple glasses of vino — it was perfect.
This was my very first attempt at scone making and I scoured recipe sites until I found this one from Tyler Florence on the Food Network. I’ve adapted it slightly from the original version and was pleasantly surprised at how great they ended up tasting. I can’t wait to try this recipe out with other flavour combinations like raspberry and chocolate or rosemary and cheddar…
Blueberry Lemon Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar (Tyler used 2 tbsp)
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter cold, cut in chunks
- 1 cup milk plus more for brushing the scones (Tyler used heavy cream)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp lemon rind
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Sift together the dry ingredients; the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Using 2 forks or a pastry blender, cut in the butter to coat the pieces with the flour. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the milk (or heavy cream), lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Fold everything together just to incorporate; do not overwork the dough.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Take care not to mashor bruise the blueberries because their strong color will bleed into the dough.
- Press the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a large circle about 1 1/4 inches thick.
- Using a large cookie cutter (preferably heart-shaped:) cut out 6 large scones.
- Place the scones on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush the tops with a little milk or heavy cream.
- Bake at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes until beautiful and brown.
- Apply the glaze as soon as they come out of the oven. Enjoy!