I’ve been thinking A LOT about being more organized, particularly in the kitchen. With so much of our time revolving around what and when we eat—and even more so when there are little mouths and bellies to fill—a well-thought-out meal strategy can bring about calmer, less chaotic mornings and evenings (and who doesn’t want that?).
I’m still mastering the art of meal planning/meal prep, but guess what, I’m kinda figuring out the whole weekly snack thing. And the little mouths and bellies I’m tasked with filling, well they’re pretty pleased. They like snacks. Good, healthy, unfussy snacks, like maple granola and their favourite carrot date muffins. In turn, I feel pretty darn good that I’m feeding the people I care about most, satisfying and mostly nutritious food. Not to mention how much quieter car rides can be when you’re snack-equipped…as I detail here.
NOW, about these chocolate chip bran muffins.
- Little and big bellies alike give them two thumbs up.
- They’re moist and dense, like a good muffin should be, and speckled with semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Chocolate Chip Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bran, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg with oil, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Using 1/4 cup, spoon into prepared muffin tins (greased or lined with muffin papers).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Enjoy!