This healthy coconut veggie soup is a-mazing. It’s creamy, hearty, full of subtle flavours, like ginger, garlic, sweet potato…oh, and did I mention it’s also GOOD for you and super fast to whip up?
All you need. SERIOUSLY. That’s it folks.
Healthy Coconut Veggie Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh gingeroot (very finely chopped)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and cut into small cubes -- roughly 4 cups)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 900 ml vegetable or chicken broth (roughly 4.5 cups)
- 400 ml coconut milk (nearly two cups)
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 bunch of fresh green beans (washed and chopped into bite sized pieces — ~ 1 cup)
- 1 small bunch of swiss chard (about 6-8 leaves - washed and roughly chopped)
- pinch chili flakes ground
- In a large stove top pot, heat olive oil over medium-high.
- Toss in chopped onion and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Add in ginger, sweet potato cubes, salt, and turmeric. Stir to coat.
- Pour in vegetable (or chicken) broth and bring to a gentle boil. Let boil for 10-15 minutes, or until the potato's are tender.
- Now that the potatoes are cooked, get out your hand-held immersion blender and give it a go—no too much, leave lots of nice sweet potato bites as is. This partial puree (about half the sweet potatoes) will brighten the soup and round out the sweetness perfectly.
- Stir in coconut milk, beans and red pepper. Gently boil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped swiss chard and cook for another 5 minutes.
- For a little extra flavour, add a pinch of ground chili flakes. So delicious. Enjoy!