These lemon squares, recipe curtesy of my mom, hit just the right balance between the tart lemon top and buttery sweet shortbread base.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice ~1 lemon
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a food processor (or by hand) pulse flour, sugar, and butter (cubed) until combined. The mixture will resemble coarse crumbs.
- Press firmly into a 8'' x 8'' baking dish.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine sugar, beaten eggs, lemon zest, juice, flour, b. powder, and salt with a whisk until well combined.
- Pour over hot shortbread.
- Bake at 325 for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy!