Oven baked crispy goodness. These panko crusted eggplant rounds are perfect as a side dish and hearty enough to take center stage.
Really crispy on the outside…soft and tender on the inside.
Hard to resist….
Oven Baked Crispy Panko Eggplant Steaks
- 1 medium eggplant (washed and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan reggiano
- 1 tbsp fresh flat parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Using a large ziplock bag (or mixing bowl) add flour and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another large ziplock bag, combine panko, parm, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On a large (unlined) baking sheet add 2 tbsp of olive oil and coat the pan evenly. Add the butter (unmelted) and place in the hot oven for 3-5 minutes — just until the butter browns. Set a timer so not to burn the butter!
- While the oil and butter is heating, wash and dry eggplant and slice into 1/2 inch thick rounds. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs.
- Time to coat the eggplant rounds.
- Add the eggplant rounds to the flour bag (you should be able to fit them all in at once). Seal and shake until well coated.
- One at a time, take the floured eggplant rounds (shake off excess flour) and dip into the egg until well coated, then drop into the panko ziplock bag and shake, toss and pat until well coated.
- Place on hot baking sheet. Repeat until all the rounds are ready to go.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.
- Remove, turn eggplant rounds over and continue baking for another 15. Enjoy!