Italian Sausage Pasta with Basil and Grilled Red Pepper || Summertime-easy grilled Italian sausages and red pepper over hearty vermicelli pasta with a light lemony basil dressing. The perfect summertime pasta dish.
Writing this post has been a tough feat. Seems I can’t find more than a few minutes when both hands are free to type. They say you can’t spoil a baby before 6 months, but I’m pretty sure I’ve already done just that. From the moment my little guy was born he’s been in my arms and whenever I try to put him down he wails in protest. So he really rarely gets put down…
Happily, I did have a chance to re-connect with my kitchen this past weekend and cooked up this fresh, summertime-friendly pasta with Italian sausage and peppers from the grill, green beans, basil, and a light lemon dressing.
Italian Sausage Pasta with Basil and Grilled Red Pepper
- 6 mild Italian sausages grilled on the BBQ
- 2 red peppers grilled and roughly chopped
- 450 grams vermicelli
- bunch of fresh green beans 2 cups worth
- 1 small red onion roughly chopped
- 1 cup parmesan reggiano finely grated -- plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fire up the BBQ and toss the sausages and red pepper on the grill (the pepper should be quartered and lightly drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper). The sausages and pepper should take about 20 minutes depending on your grill. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add a dash of salt and your vermicelli (cook for 10-12 minutes, until al dente).
- While the sausages and pasta cook, in a small saucepan, saute the red onion and green beans in olive oil until tender.
- Drain the pasta and toss everything back into the pasta pot-- olive oil, lemon juice, basil, sausages (sliced!), red pepper, red onion, green beans, parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently to combine.