Healthy One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe
Weeknight-friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and loaded with delicious Mexican seasoning, plus brown rice, chicken, black beans, corn, red pepper, cheddar cheese, and cilantro.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus more if needed
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1 medium medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp chili powder *plus a pinch for browning the chicken
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt *plus a good pinch for browning the chicken
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice uncooked
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 can black beans 540 ml - drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper washed and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated — I like a mixture of orange and white
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro to serve
In a large stove top pan, over medium-high heat, add olive oil, a generous pinch of salt and a pinch chili powder. Stir. Add chicken breasts and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Into the same pan, which will have lots of flavor from the chicken, add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. If the pan becomes dry, add a dash more olive oil. If the onions and garlic begin to darken, lower the heat.
Add in rice, spices, salt, beans, corn, red pepper and chicken broth. Stir until well combined and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Return the chicken to the pan, tucking them gently into the rice mixture. Let simmer for 20 minutes (giving the mixture a gentle stir midway to ensure the rice cooks evenly) or until the chicken and rice are fully cooked.
Top with grated cheddar cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and lime crema.
Make sure your skillet is large enough to accommodate all the good stuff we're about to throw in. A 12 inch pan should do it.
Serve with lime wedges and extra cilantro. This lime crema is also a super delicious topper if you have an extra 5 minutes to spare.