The best blueberry banana pancakes recipe || Made with vanilla Greek yogurt, milk, mashed banana and a touch of brown sugar and loaded with fresh sweet blueberries. Also, these pancakes have the perfect flat to fluffy ratio. Just saying.
The kiddos and I made these gorgeous, fluffy—but not too fluffy—blueberry banana pancakes a few days ago for supper and then again the next day. A dad’s-away-let’s-have-breakfast-for-dinner kind of indulgence. The kind where blueberry loaded pancakes are drenched in as much maple syrup as possible and leftovers are nowhere to be found. That I chose blueberries over chocolate chips feels only slightly redeeming. [Side note, chocolate chips would be AMAZING here. Also, please tell me how much maple syrup your family consumes on a monthly basis…I’m starting to think we are on the abnormally high side.]
Lately, we are all about breakfast for supper. Fluffy pancakes, yes. Homemade egg McMuffins, yes. Every Monday night like clockwork. So many advantages to breakfast suppers. Namely: Kids. Love. Breakfast. Plus, they’re quick and easy to prepare. Like this blueberry banana pancakes recipe. One bowl. Little effort for something so satisfying and weeknight friendly. Anyone else on the breakfast for supper train?
About this blueberry banana pancakes recipe:
As written, this recipe makes 10 good sized pancakes, so if you’re feeding the whole family, you might want to double or triple the recipe. Hungry children (in my experience) will eat anywhere from 2 to 4 pancakes each, so I usually double up. Plus, if you do have leftovers, they are great warmed up in the oven the next morning.
This banana pancakes recipe, which calls for vanilla Greek yogurt, milk, mashed banana and a touch of brown sugar, makes sweet, fluffy pancakes. Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream can be used instead of vanilla yogurt. The result will be slightly less sweet, but still delicious, pancakes. The batter will be thick, but not so thick that it can’t be easily spread out / smushed into larger pancake-perfect rounds using the bottom of your batter scoop. Very technical business.
I suspect the world might just right itself if more people made blueberry banana pancake suppers a regular occurrence. Just thinking.
P.S. Also perfect for breakfast, brunch, or supper — this Bacon Parmesan Quiche Lorraine.
Best Blueberry Banana Pancakes Recipe
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt or plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh blueberries washed and patted dry
- butter for the pan
- In a large mixing bowl, mash banana. Whisk in egg, vanilla, milk, and yogurt.
- Stir in dry ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter to a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Once it begins to sizzle, add 1/3 cup scoops of pancake batter, using the scoop bottom to spread out / smush down the pancake batter into larger perfect rounds.
- Cook on medium to medium low, depending on your stovetop. Adjust the heat if the butter begins to blacken i.e. burn. Once you spot bubbles forming (usually 2-3 minutes), gently flip and let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add a little extra butter to the pan before pouring more pancake batter.
- Serve with heaps of maple syrup.