I seriously overdid it this Christmas. You did too–right? Just say yes.
Well, it’s that time again — to detox from the days-on-end-eating of rich apps, entrees and desserts…yep, time for some lighter fare. And nothing’s better on a cold winter’s day than a hot, hearty–and healthy–soup. Round it out with a toasty warm veggie panini and you’re in business.
Healthy Broccoli Soup
- 1 medium broccoli
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 3 potatoes chopped into small cubes
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Dash of worcestershire sauce
- Dash of celery salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- In a large stovetop pot, saute onions, celery, carrots, and garlic in olive oil until tender (5-10 minutes).
- Add in the uncooked potatoes and broccoli (broken into small florets), chicken stock to cover, bay leaves, worcestershire, celery salt, nutmeg, and onion powder. Bring to a boil.
- Once the potatoes and broccoli are tender (about 25-30 minutes) remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Puree until smooth with either a hand-held blender or transfer to a regular blender and puree in batches.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Enjoy!